A Taste of Chattanooga, Tennessee
DID YOU KNOW THESE FACTS ABOUT CHATTANOOGA?
Chattanooga, TN Radio Stations
- Chattanooga is the fourth-largest city in the U.S. state of Tennessee with a population of 167,674 (after Memphis, Nashville and Knoxville).
- The city, which has a downtown elevation of approximately 680 feet, lies at the transition between the ridge-and-valley portion of the Appalachian Mountains and the Cumberland Plateau. The city is therefore surrounded by various mountains and ridges. The official nickname for Chattanooga is the Scenic City.
Chattanooga is ranked 8th out of Americas 100 largest metro areas for the best "Bang For Your Buck" city according to Forbes magazine. The study measured overall affordability, housing rates, and more.
- Chattanooga's economy includes a diversified and growing mix of manufacturing and service industries. Notable Chattanooga businesses include Access America Transport, BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee, CBL & Associates, The Chattanooga Bakery, Chattem, the world's first Coca-Cola bottling plant, Coker Tire, Coptix, Chattanooga Clothing Company, Covenant Transport, Double Cola, Gordon Biersch Brewery Restaurant Group, Krystal, Litespeed, Miller & Martin, National Model Railroad Association, Olan Mills, Inc., Republic Parking System, Retro Television Network (RTN), Rock/Creek, Tricycle Inc., and Unum. The city also hosts large branch offices of Cigna, AT&T, T-Mobile USA and UBS. McKee Foods Corporation, maker of Little Debbie brand snack cakes, is a privately held, family-run company headquartered in nearby Collegedale, Tennessee.
- Chattanooga is home to the Hunter Museum of American Art, a well known art museum. As the birthplace of the tow truck, Chattanooga is the home of the International Towing and Recovery Hall of Fame and Museum. Another transportation icon, the passenger train, can be found at the Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum, or called TVRM by locals, which is the largest operating historic railroad in the South. Other notable museums include the Chattanooga Regional History Museum, the National Medal of Honor Museum, the Houston Museum, the Chattanooga African American Museum, and the Creative Discovery Museum.
- Festivals and events: Chattanooga hosts the Riverbend Festival, an annual nine-day music festival held in June in the downtown area. One of the most popular events is the "Bessie Smith Strut", a one-night showcase of blues and jazz music named for the city's most noted blues singer. The annual "Southern Brewer's Festival" and the "River Roast" festival celebrate such traditional Southern staples as beer and barbecue.
"Nightfall" is the free weekly concert series in Miller Plaza on Friday nights that continues to bring an eclectic mix of rock, blues, jazz, reggae, zydeco, funk, bluegrass, and folk to downtown Chattanooga from Memorial Day until the end of September. The Chattanooga Market features events all year round as part of the "Sunday at the Southside", including an Oktoberfest in mid-October.
- The median income for a household in the city was $32,006, and the median income for a family was $41,318.
- Chattanooga, as with much of Tennessee, has a four-season humid subtropical climate. Winter days are usually mild but there are several days per annum where conditions stay at or below freezing all day. Snow is not common and the 1971–2000 snowfall seasonal median has been 0.6 inches. Summer are hot and humid, with a July daily mean of 79.6 °F and 46 days annually with 90 °F or greater temperatures.
WDEF 92.3 FM Chattanooga, TN Adult Contemporary
W224AZ (WPLZ) 92.7 FM Chattanooga, TN News/Talk
WDOD 96.5 FM Chattanooga, TN Top-40
W290BG (WAYB) 105.9 FM Chattanooga, TN Gospel Music
WDEF 1370 AM Chattanooga, TN Sports
WNOO 1260 AM – Urban gospel and Motown
WMPZ 93.5 FM – Urban oldies / Groove 93
WJTT 94.3 FM – Urban contemporary / Power 94
Demographics of Chattanooga, Tennessee
Because Hispanics could be counted in other races, the totals above could possibly be more than 100%. If you would like a detailed listing of all ethnic groups in the U.S., please Click Here.
Famous Blacks from Chattanooga, Tennessee
Businesses in Chattanooga, Tennessee
A small percentage of the businesses listed on BlackCityInfo.com may not necessarily be black owned and operated but have received favorable reviews from users who have visited the establishment, or from the owners themselves who warmly seek out African American patronage.
BEAUTY CARE - HAIR SALONS - MULTICULTURAL
- Extensions, Etc. - Category: Black Hair Salons - 3529 Brainerd Road Suite 3
Chattanooga, TN (423) 629-2066
- Jagged Edge Salon - Category: Black Hair Salons - Licensed and experienced multicultural hair care practitioner. - 3913 Brainerd Road, Suite 118 - Chattanooga, TN (423) 622-3870 - (visit website)
- Marcy's Hair Show - Category: Black Hair Salons - 6466 E. Brainerd Road
Suite 8 - Chattanooga, TN (423) 855-1123
- Premier Beauty Supply - Category: Beauty Supply - 3915 Rossvill Blvd. Chattanooga, TN 37407 (423) 635-4827
- Premier Beauty Supply - Category: Beauty Supply - 5312 Brainerd RD. Chattanooga, TN 37411 (423) 635-4827
- So Fine Hair Salon - Category: Black Hair Salons - 1516 Dodson Avenue -
Chattanooga, TN (423) 316-0426
BLACK BUSINESSES - SERVICES - VENDORS ETC.
- Candyland Academy - Category: Childcare - Quality Childcare where we play and learn. - 400 N. Seminole Drive Chattanooga, TN (423) 774-0487
- The Chattanooga Courier - Category: African American Newspaper - P.O. Box 4505 Chattanooga, TN 37405 (423) 698-0499
- The Chattanooga Minority Business Alliance - Category: African American Newspaper - 233-B ML King Blvd. Chattanooga, TN 37402 (423) 266-2561
AFRICAN AMERICAN CULTURE
- Bessie Smith Cultural Center - Category: Cultural - 200 E Ml King Blvd # 2, Chattanooga, TN (423) 266-8658
- Chattanooga African-American Museum - Category: Cultural - The African-American experience is documented here in deep, rich detail. - 200 E Martin Luther King Blvd, Chattanooga, TN (423) 266-8658 - (visit website)
DINING - CATERING - BBQ - SOUL FOOD
- Choo Choo Barbque - Category: BBQ - "Grade A BBQ!!! This has to be the the best barbeque in chattanooga " - 7910 East Brainerd Road, Chattanooga, TN (423) 553-8888
- Herman's Soul Food & Catering - Category: Soul Food Restaurants - "Very classic southern Very classic southern soulfood." - 3821 Brainerd Road, Chattanooga, TN (423) 624-5715 - (visit website)
- Meca's Soul Food - Category: Soul Food Restaurant - 2109 McCallie Ave, Chattanooga, TN (423) 697-1800
- Mediah's Soul Food Restaurant - Category: Soul Food Restaurant - 202 W 38th Street, Chattanooga, TN (423) 903-0532
- Michael's Soul Food Restaurant - Category: Soul Food Restaurant - 415 E Ml King Blvd, Chattanooga, TN (423) 756-1901
- Sonny's Barbecue & Such - Category: Soul Food Restaurants - 1503 Tunnel Boulevard, Chattanooga, TN (423) 698-1255
- Soul Food Express - Category: Soul Food Restaurants - "Authentic, excellent! Best ribs in Chattanooga, greens are as authentically southern as it gets." - 618 East Ml King Boulevard, Chattanooga, TN (423) 425-7000
- Soul Food Sensations - Category: Soul Food Restaurants - 736 E Martin Luther King Blvd, Chattanooga, TN (423) 752-3012
CITY VIDEO CONNECTION
Growing Up Poor and Black in Chattanooga: an Interview
- Allen's Temple AME Church - 817 Dodson Avenue, Chattanooga, TN (423) 624-2231
- Bethel Ame Church - 2000 Walker Street, Chattanooga, TN (423) 622-1261
- First Baptist Church of Chattanooga East Eighth Street - 506 East Eighth Street, Chattanooga, Tennessee (423) 265-3229 - (visit website)
- Harris Chapel AME Zion Church - 2400 12th Avenue, Chattanooga, TN (423) 629-5594
- Olivet Baptist Church - 740 East Ml King Boulevard, Chattanooga, TN (423) 266-8709
- Quinn Chapel AME Church - 4228 Quinn Adams St, Chattanooga, TN (423) 265-4738
- St. Elmo Missionary Baptist Church - We celebrated 155 years on July 10, 2016. Come hear and receive the Word of God. 3701 W Avenue, Chattanooga, TN 37410 (423) 821-6825
- St James Ame Church - 7526 Standifer Gap Road, Chattanooga, TN (423) 485-7979
- St Joseph Chapel AME Church - 2613 Wood Avenue, Chattanooga, TN (423) 629-2000
- St Paul Ame Church - 2514 Williams Street, Chattanooga, Tennessee (423) 267-6869 - (visit website)
- Allen Gold's Discotheque - Category: Nightclub - 1100 McCallie Avenue, - Chattanooga, TN (423) 629-8080
- The Comedy Catch and Giggles Grill - Category: Comedy Club - The Best Stand-up Comedy, Delicious Food, Full Bar, Great atmosphere. - 3224 Brainerd Road, Chattanooga, TN (423) 629-2233 - (visit website)
- Bessie Smith Strut
(June) Martin Luther King Blvd. Chattanooga, TN - First Monday of Riverbend (423) 756-2211
- (visit website)
This event is free of charge and features Blues bands and local nightclub bands of every variety, also different barbecue stands offering barbecued pork, beef, turkey, and seafood.