A Taste of Hopkins, South Carolina
DID YOU KNOW THESE FACTS ABOUT HOPKINS?
- Hopkins is a census-designated place (CDP) in Richland County, South Carolina, United States, that was founded circa 1836 and named after John Hopkins. It is located 11 miles southeast of downtown Columbia and is part of the Columbia Metropolitan Statistical Area. As of the 2010 census, the population of the Hopkins CDP was 2,882.
- Hopkins is 6 miles northwest of South Carolina's only national park, Congaree National Park, which is located off Bluff Road west of Gadsden. The Congaree National Park has contiguously preserved the largest tract of old-growth bottomland hardwood forest in the United States, and contains one of the tallest deciduous forests in the world. It has 27,000-acre of land and water. The park was designated an international Biosphere, a Globally Important Bird Area, and a National Natural Landmark. While in the park one can hike, backpack, camp, canoe, fish, birdwatch, and study nature.
WFMV 95.3 FM South Congaree, SC Gospel Music
W240AX (WQXL) 95.9 FM Columbia, SC Talk
W240AX (WQXL) (CP) 96.1 FM Columbia, SC Talk
WOMG 98.5 FM Lexington, SC Oldies
WVOC 100.1 FM West Columbia, SC News/Talk
WWDM 101.3 FM Sumter, SC Urban Contemporary
WPUB 102.7 FM Camden, SC Oldies
WLXC 103.1 FM Columbia, SC Urban Contemporary
WHXT 103.9 FM Orangeburg, SC Hip Hop
WNOK 104.7 FM Columbia, SC Top-40
WNKT 107.5 FM Eastover, SC Sports
WXBT 560 AM Columbia, SC Sports
WGCV 620 AM Cayce, SC Gospel Music
WBAJ 890 AM Blythewood, SC Religious
WYMB 920 AM Manning, SC Sports
WOIC 1230 AM Columbia, SC Sports
WISW 1320 AM Columbia, SC News/Talk
WCOS 1400 AM Columbia, SC Gospel Music
Demographics of Hopkins, South Carolina
Because Hispanics could be counted in other races, the totals above could possibly be more than 100%. If you would like a detailed listing of all ethnic groups in the U.S., please Click Here.
Businesses in Hopkins, South Carolina
A small percentage of the businesses listed on BlackCityInfo.com may not necessarily be black owned and operated but have received favorable reviews from users who have visited the establishment, or from the owners themselves who warmly seek out African American patronage.
BEAUTY CARE - HAIR SALONS - MULTICULTURAL
- Braids By Franche - Category: Black Hair Salons - - (803) 788-8885
Serving the Hopkins area.
- Tykena's Braids - Category: Black Hair Salons - braiding shop that specializes in braids, twist dreads, corn rows, two-strand twist. - (803) 404-9131Serving the Hopkins area.
BLACK BUSINESSES - SERVICES - VENDORS ETC.
- Master Builder Constructors, Inc. - Category: Construction - 6813 Bluff Road
Hopkins, South Carolina 29061 (803)783-8719
DINING - CATERING - BBQ - SOUL FOOD
- Quisqueya Caribbean Restaurant - Category: Caribbean - 3684 Leesburg Rd
Hopkins, SC 29061 (803) 776-4054
- Rollin Backyard Bar-B-Que LLC - Category: Bar-B-Que - 172 Alexander Pointe Drive
Hopkins, SC 29061 (803) 708-5135
CITY VIDEO CONNECTION
Carolina Cookers - Hopkins, South Carolina
8th Annual STRONG THREADS 2015 - African American Heritage
African American Heritage Festival and Celebration: Honoring Our Elders -Live Entertainment - Food - Games- Workshops - Vendors - Arts and Crafts -and Much More!
Festival & Celebration
HONORING OUR ELDERS
Featuring MELBA MOORE
Saturday, February 21st, 2014 11am 4pm
STRONG THREADS 2015 is a ***FREE EVENT***
and will be held at THE ST JOHN HOLISTIC WELLNESS CENTER 222 J.W. NEAL CIRCLE, HOPKINS, SC 29061.
Strong Threads is an annual ONE DAY Festival with Music, Dancing, Workshops, Food & Entertainment. The ever popular STRONG THREADS event is a unique opportunity to celebrate and educate the community through entertainment about African American History and culture and the rich heritage of Lower Richland County.
There will be dancing, singing, food, live music/entertainment/performers/vendors, workshops, youth games and much more! This year's special guest will feature Tony Award Winning, Grammy-Nominated, Broadway Star Ms. MELBA MOORE.
With other musical and special guests such as Gospel and Inspirational Recording Artist REGINA SKEETERS, Multi-talented artist MO MUSIC, MELODIC HEARTS, the African dancing and drumming of THE ABATSU DANCERS from Augusta, GA, Author and movie producer Dr. Romando James, Sam & Harriet Barber (Oriana Rhema Productions), Impersonator JESSE SUMTER aka JAMES BROWN, ROLLING VIDEO GAMES, the Black Inventors Museum, Olivia The Puppet (AUNTIE KAREN FOUNDATION) and much, much more!
This year the festival is focused on HONORING OUR ELDERS bringing awareness to those who have paved the way and celebrating them.
A banquet honoring Melba Moore will take place in the evening, 7:00 ? 9:00PM, at the St. John Holistic Wellness Center. Tickets for the banquet are $25.00 for adults and $10.00 for youth. Tickets for the banquet can be purchase online, Eventbrite.com.
VENDORS: Some of the CAROLINA'S MOST POPULAR VENDORS will also be on site! To become a food and non-food vendor call 803-719-1871, should you reach the voicemail please leave your name, email address, and mailing address and a reply will be sent within 48 hours.
STRONG THREADS is sponsored by the Southeast Rural Community Outreach and is a local heritage tourism event made possible by a grant from the Richland County Hospitality Tax Fund.
**** FOOD & NON-FOOD VENDORS WANTED (803) 719-1871 *****
No matter the age or interest, there are activities for everyone!
Bring your family and friends and enjoy a day out in Lower Richland County.
A full schedule of events will be available on the Strong Threads website at www.strongthreads.com and our facebook page www.facebook.com/strongthreads
check often for updates!
Strong Threads is sponsored by the Southeast Rural Community Outreach (SERCO), the Richland County Hospitality Tax Fund and the Network for Serious Teens and Adults Acting Responsibly.
The articles on this site are provided as a public service and to be used for information purposes only. No information on this site is intended to serve as professional advice. BlackCityinfo.com does not accept any responsibility or liability for the use or misuse of the article content. Use at your own risk.
BlackCityinfo.com does not endorse or recommend any article on this site or any product, service or information found within said articles. Resources and links included in said articles are only suggested as sources for further exploration, but we cannot vouch for or take responsibility for information contained in these resources. The opinions and views of the authors who have submitted articles to BlackCityinfo.com belong to them alone and do not necessarily reflect the views of BlackCityinfo.com.
- Mount Moriah Baptist Church - 1000 Old Bluff Road Hopkins, SC 29061 (803) 783-6361
- Progressive Church Of Our Lord Jesus Christ, Inc. - 6844 Lower Richland Blvd
P.O. Box 135 Hopkins, SC 29061-9198 (803) 783-4584
- (visit website)
- Annual Strong Threads African American Festival 2014 - (FEB) - (visit website)
The ever popular STRONG THREADS event is a unique opportunity to celebrate and educate the community through entertainment about their African American History, the people, and the rich heritage of Lower Richland County.