A Taste of Cleveland, Ohio
DID YOU KNOW THESE FACTS ABOUT CLEVELAND?
Cleveland is a city in the U.S. state of Ohio and is the county seat of Cuyahoga County, the most populous county in the state. According to the U.S. Census Bureau the population was 431,639.
Residents of Cleveland are called Clevelanders. Nicknames for the city include "The Forest City", "Metropolis of the Western Reserve", "Sixth City", and 'The Rock 'n' Roll Capital of the World'. Due to Lake Erie's northern border with the city, the Cleveland area is also referred to by residents and local businesses as "The North Coast".
- Carl Burton Stokes (June 21, 1927–April 3, 1996) was an American politician of the Democratic party who served as the 51st mayor of Cleveland, Ohio. Elected on November 7, 1967, but took office on Jan 1, 1968, he was the first African American mayor of a major U.S. city. Fellow Ohioan Robert C. Henry was the first African American mayor of any U.S. city (Springfield, elected 1966).
- Cleveland possesses a humid continental climate, typical of much of the central United States, with very warm, humid summers and cold, snowy winters.
WRUW 91.1 FM Cleveland, OH Variety
WZAK 93.1 FM Cleveland, OH Urban Contemporary
WAKS 96.5 FM Akron, OH Top-40
W279BT (KHRI) 103.7 FM Christian Contemporary
WENZ 107.9 FM Cleveland, OH Hip Hop
WHLO 640 AM Akron, OH News/Talk
WKNR 850 AM Cleveland, OH Sports
WJTB 1040 AM North Ridgeville, OH Urban Contemporary
WARF 1350 AM Akron, OH Sports
WDLW 1380 AM Lorain, OH Oldies
WABQ 1460 AM Painesville, OH Gospel Music
WWGK 1540 AM Cleveland, OH Sports
Demographics of Cleveland, Ohio
Because Hispanics could be counted in other races, the totals above could possibly be more than 100%. If you would like a detailed listing of all ethnic groups in the U.S., please Click Here.
Famous Blacks from Cleveland, Ohio
Businesses in Cleveland, Ohio
A small percentage of the businesses listed on BlackCityInfo.com may not necessarily be black owned and operated but have received favorable reviews from users who have visited the establishment, or from the owners themselves who warmly seek out African American patronage.
BEAUTY CARE - HAIR SALONS - MULTICULTURAL
- Annointed Hands - Category: Nail Salon - - 12302 Corlett Ave.
Cleveland, Ohio 44105, (216) 426-1692
- A Touch of Rain - Category: Nail Salon - - 12407 Larchmere Rd.
Cleveland, Ohio 44120 (216) 229-7246 - (visit website)
- Bare Sky Scent - Category: Beauty Care - Avon is for every one. Go to the Bare Sky Scent website and click the Avon link. Shop 24 hours a day. - 17006 Lotus Drive, Cleveland, OH (216) 759-2514 - (visit website)
- Be Naturelle - 854 East 144 Street Cleveland, OH 44110 (216) 323-6299
- Hair 2 Envy - Micros braids weaves 4579 Lee Rd, Cleveland, OH (216) 780-1954
- Hollywood Beauty Supply - Category: Black Beauty Supply - 2181 Noble Rd. Cleveland, OH 44112 (480) 899-6363
- Mary Kay Independent Beauty Representative Thresea Dedrick - Category: Beauty Care - looking to add beauty reps to my team $100.00 tax shipping for the beauty kit do a book party the easiest way to have a party to place a order go to marykay.com/tdedrick1 for more info go to firstname.lastname@example.org to leave me a note - Cleveland, OH - (visit website)
- Natural Roots Styling Studio - 2084 Noble Rd, Cleveland, OH 44112 (216) 681-1359
- (visit website)
- On Point a Multicultural Hair and Nail Salon - Category: Hair/Nail Salon - - 610 St. Clair Cleveland, OH 44101 (216) 344-4500
- Sherub's Halos Hair Salon & Spa - Specialties: Hair, Full Spa
758 E. 200th St. Cleveland, OH 44119 (216) 531-4256
- The Garden Of Eden Beauty Salon - Multicultural beauty salon, offering professional service. 3966 Rocky River Drive, Cleveland, OH (216) 246-0193
- Urban Legends Barber Shop - Cuts, colors, trendy styles 8315 Superior Ave., Cleveland, OH (216) 721-3501
- 5th Avenue Salon & Spa - 8315 Superior Ave. Cleveland, OH (216) 791-3501
BLACK BUSINESSES - SERVICES - VENDORS ETC.
- A Cultural Exchange - Category: Black Book Stores - 12621 Larchmere Blvd. Cleveland, OH 44120-1109 (216) 229-8300
- African American Business & Contractors - Category: General Contractors - 4500 Lee Rd, Cleveland, OH 44128 (216) 662-8940
- American Merchandising Service Corp. - Category: Merchandising - 13308 Euclid Ave. Suite 105 Cleveland, OH 44112 (216) 249-2626
- APB & Associates - Category: Business Services - 55 Erieview Plaza
Suite 328 Cleveland, Ohio 44114 (216) 541-2900
- Archies Lakeshore Bakery - Category: Wedding Planning - 14906 Lake Shore Blvd. - PO Box 10489 Cleveland, OH 44110, (216) 481-4188
- Classic Floral and Balloon Designs - Category: Floral Design - 7607 Harvard Avenue., Cleveland, OH 44128 (216) 752-8337 - (800) 689-8337
- Consortium African-American Organizations - Category: Consulting Organization - 4614 Prospect Ave # 323, Cleveland, OH 44103 (216) 432-9481 - (visit website)
- Eliza Bryant Village - Category: Nursing & Convalescent Homes - 7201 Wade Park Ave, Cleveland, OH 44103 (216) 361-6141 - (visit website)
- Ivys Catering At Greenmount - Category: Catering - 800 S Green Rd., Cleveland, OH 44121 (216) 297-0891 - (216) 282-4911
- Keller Williams Realty - Category: Realty Services - Real estate services - 635 W. Lakeside #100 , Cleveland, Ohio (216) 255-0660 - (visit website)
- Kidd's Preschool Enrichment Center - Category: Preschool - 18403 Euclid Ave.
Cleveland, OH 44112 (216) 531-7465
- Northcoast Counseling - Category: Counseling Services - 2490 Lee Blvd # 320, Cleveland, OH 44118 (216) 371-1991
- Olivia Jackson - Category: Media Consulting - Cleveland, OH
- ORCA House Inc - Category: Social Services - 1905 E 89th St, Cleveland, OH 44106 (216) 231-3772
- Reliable Couriers - Category: Couriers - 600 Superior Ave. East
Suite 1300 Cleveland, OH 44114 (216)370-7989
- Styles of Imagination Inc. - Diane Linston - Category: Fashion - According to Fashion Designer Diane Linston, fashions should always be high-key, up beat and fashionably fun. Sequins fashions is still a hot trend for the 2017 fall season and Linston has her finger on the pulse of glitz and glamour with style creations that transcend from business casual to red carpet glamour. If you still think that sequins are only good for a night out, then Diane Linston, creative director of Style of Imagination Inc. has a wardrobe solution that is lifestyle changing. -3500 Payne Ave. Unit# 1C Cleveland, OH 44114 (216) 410-8555 - (visit website)
( in Studio Photography )
- The Price Group - Category: Remediation Materials - 23103 Miles Rd.
Suite 200 Cleveland, OH 44128 (216) 475-8112
- The Springer Group LLC - Category: Business Services - P.O.Box 19250
Cleveland, OH 44119 (216) 624-3110
- Timbuktu - Category: Black Book Stores - 5508 Superior Ave. Cleveland, OH 44103 (216) 391-4740
AFRICAN AMERICAN CULTURE
- The African American Museum in Cleveland - Educating young people about the positive contributions of blacks to the cultures of the world. 1765 Crawford Road, Cleveland, OH 44106-2011 (216) 721-6555
DINING - CATERING - BBQ - SOUL FOOD
- Angie's Soul Food Inc - 7514 Cedar Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44103 (216) 426-8890
- Big Momma's Soul Food - 5838 Portage Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44127 (216) 206-3861
- Carolina's Southern Cuisine - 17322 Harvard Ave, Cleveland, OH 44128 (216) 283-0601
- Chesapeke Seafood With Soul - 2577 Noble Road, Cleveland, OH 44121 (216) 291-1673
- CMB Soul Food - 12503 Union Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44105 (216) 752-5402
- Deon's Restaurant - Category: Family Style Restaurant · Burger Restaurant
- Real estate services - 6218 Superior Ave. Cleveland, OH 44103
(216)458-8078 - (visit website)
- Everything & Then Some - - Soul Food Buffet Restaurant 16405 Euclid Ave. Cleveland, OH (216) 531-2000
- Ivys Catering At Greenmount - Category: Catering - 800 S Green Rd., Cleveland, OH 44121 (216) 297-0891 - (216) 282-4911
- Jamaican Soul - 3570 East 116th Street, Cleveland, OH 44105 (216) 752-0567
- Just Like Mom's - Brands: Hush Puppies - Hours: Open Sundays 3030 Superior Avenue East, Cleveland, OH 44114 (216) 685-5555
- Kim's Soul Food - 1280 Norwood Road, Cleveland, OH 44103 (216) 431-7089
- P'S Family Tree Soul Food - 937 E 140th Street, Cleveland, OH 44110 (216) 761-0701
- Serious Soul Food - 3761 Lee Road, Cleveland, OH 44128 (216) 561-7685
- Shae's West Side Soul Food - 3736 West 104th Street, Cleveland, OH 44111 (216) 251-8488
- Soul Beautiful Cafe - 695 East 185th Street, Cleveland, OH 44119 (216) 383-6600
- Soul City BBQ - 7514 Cedar Ave, Cleveland, OH 44103 (216) 391-4331
- Soul Food Carribean - 564 East 185th Street, Cleveland, OH 44119 (216) 481-4520
- Soul Food For The Soul - Sandwiches, Catfish, Fried Chicken, Neck, Tilapia, Pork Chops, Bones, Perch. 9615 Lorain Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44102 (216) 281-4463
CITY VIDEO CONNECTION
Preview of Juneteenth in Cleveland African-American Cultural Garden
TALES FROM THE JOINT
My name is Sean Dubois Day; author of the brazenly true-to-life fiction thriller, TALES FROM THE JOINT
Just over one year ago, I was walking out of an Ohio prison, with four manuscripts in my possession, and the audacious goal to avail novels that might entertain the world.
My breakthrough to change began one dreary evening inside a cold, graffiti-writhen prison cell. Feeling nothing short of deflated, with tears pouring down my neck, I suddenly cried out in utter desperation, “God please help me!.. I can’t go on like this!” You see my father offered me my first crack rock at the age of 16, and for twenty-two years thereafter, cocaine an I had a domestic violence relationship. It would beat me down, I’d be escorted away to jail or prison, only to come back home in love again. But this time, I was broken.
My pride had been shattered through and through, and little did I know was that those aforementioned cries for help, would alter everything in my life that came next. The very next morning, I had an uncontrollable urge to write. A universe of ideas began to flow thru my mind. Being that I was in an orientation pod, I had no writing paper, and only the butt of a pencil. I wrote on the walls, on my t-shirts, I even found that I could write on the state-issued toilet paper. When fights broke out; I wrote. When the argument of whose better, L.B. or M.J. broke out; I wrote.
I woke up writing, and at night I prayed for what I’d write the next day. This new inner passion slowly triumphed old thoughts. Writing pervaded every part of my existence. It gave me hope of being something other than the drug abusing, thieving, lying, irresponsible man I’d been for twenty years. Writing gave me a voice to be heard way beyond the CLEVELAND street corners I once screamed. Writing has given me a purpose that is not motivated by selfish desires, but fueled by passion.
So here I am, raising the stakes. Contacting BLACK CITY INFO…a media source recognized nation-wide for supporting African Americans, and creating an environment in which they can thrive. Here I am, not concerned of rejection, but simply allowing the drive of my convictions to direct my path.
Please allow me the opportunity to share this and even more of my personal story with your readers. Please honor me the opportunity to include my new fiction thriller TALES FROM THE JOINT, as a catalyst for such discussion
The articles on this site are provided as a public service and to be used for information purposes only. BlackCityinfo.com does not accept any responsibility or liability for the use or misuse of the article content. Use at your own risk.
BlackCityinfo.com does not endorse or recommend any article on this site or any product, service or information found within said articles. Resources and links included in said articles are only suggested as sources for further exploration, but we cannot vouch for or take responsibility for information contained in these resources. The opinions and views of the authors who have submitted articles to BlackCityinfo.com belong to them alone and do not necessarily reflect the views of BlackCityinfo.com.
- Antioch Baptist Church - 8869 Cedar Ave at Carnegie Ave, Cleveland, Ohio (216) 421-1516
- Church of God and Saints of Christ - 3825 Central Ave, Cleveland, Ohio (216) 881-4114 - (visit website)
- Liberty Hill Baptist Church - 8206 Euclid Ave, Cleveland, Ohio (216) 791-5841 - (visit website)
- Mc Creary Center - Category: Religious School - 1508 E 71st St, Cleveland, OH 44103 (216) 431-1989
- Muhammad Mosque 18 - 3790 East 131st Street, Cleveland, Ohio (216) 751-7736
- Olivet Institutional Baptist Church - 8712-14 Quincy Ave at East 89th St, Cleveland, Ohio (216) 721-3585
- Shiloh Baptist Church - 5500 Scovill Ave, Cleveland, Ohio (216) 881-7337
- St. James AME Church - 8401 Cedar Ave, Cleveland, Ohio (216) 231-3562
- St. John AME Church - 2261 East 40th Street at Central Ave, Cleveland, Ohio (216) 431-2560
- St. John Episcopal Church - 2600 Church Street, Cleveland, Ohio (216) 4781-5546
- St. Paul AME Zion Church - 2393 East 55th Street, Cleveland, Ohio (216) 431-7716 - (visit website)
- United House of Prayer for All People - 8700 Cedar Ave, Cleveland, Ohio (216) 229-6971
- Bop Stop Live Jazz - Cleveland Bop Stop :: Live Jazz - 2920 Detroit Ave, Cleveland, OH (216) 771-6551
- Club 75 - Upscale Club, Dress to Impress. Jazz, R&B, and Blues - 75 Public Square Cleveland, OH (216) 832-0536
- The Town Fryer @ The Agora - Jazz and Blues, also tasty soul food - 5000 Euclid Ave. Cleveland, OH (216) 431-0700
- Black Culture International Parade and Festival - (August) (216) 921-2892
Event kicks off at Cleveland State University with a parade, food, entertainment, fun follows.
- Cleveland International Film Festival - (March) Tower City Center, Cleveland, Ohio - (visit website)
Annual film festival featuring 200 documentaries, premieres, shorts, family, and independent films.
- TRI-C JazzFest - Cuyahoga Community College - (visit website)
Featuring nationally known jazz artists