A Taste of Jamaica, New York
DID YOU KNOW THESE FACTS ABOUT JAMAICA?
- Jamaica is a neighborhood in the New York City borough of Queens. It was settled under Dutch rule in 1656 in New Netherland as Rustdorp. The total population of Jamaica is estimated to be a bit over 200,000 with all neighborhoods taken into consideration.
- Previously known as one of the predominantly African American neighborhoods in the borough of Queens, Jamaica in recent years has been undergoing a sharp influx of other ethnicities. It has a substantial concentration of West Indian immigrants, Indians, Arabs, Russians, Puerto Ricans, Dominicans, Filipinos as well as many long-established African American families
- It wasn't until the late 1990s and early 2000s that immigration from other countries became widespread. Gentrification and decrease in crime attracted many families toward Jamaica's safe havens. Hillside Avenue is a complete reflection of this trend. Along 150th to 161st streets, much of the stores and restaurants are of South American and Caribbean culture. Heading farther east is the rapidly growing East Indian community. Mainly spurred on by Jamaica Muslim Center, Bangladeshis have flocked to this area due to easy transit access and the numerous Bangladeshi stores and restaurants lining 167th and 168th streets. Neighborhood analysts have concluded that Bangladeshis are becoming the most rapidly growing group. Other areas where they are known to reside include Merrick Blvd. and Sutphin Blvd. in South Jamaica. Yet heading down this same direction, you will find numerous churches, stores, salons, and hair-braiding shops thriving in the hip-hop and African-American cultures.
- Economic development was long neglected. In the 1960s and 1970s, many big box retailers moved to suburban areas where business was more profitable. Departing retailers included brand name stores and movie theaters that once thrived in Jamaica's busiest areas. Macy's and the Valencia theater were the last companies to move out in 1969. The 1980s crack epidemic created even more hardship and crime. Prime real estate spaces were filled by hair salons and 99 cents stores. Furthermore, existing zoning patterns and inadequate infrastructure did not anticipate future development.
WBGO 88.3 FM Newark, NJ Jazz
WKCR 89.9 FM New York, NY Columbia University Variety
WFMU 91.1 FM East Orange, NJ Variety
WXRK 92.3 FM New York, NY Top-40
WKLV 96.7 FM Port Chester, NY Christian Contemporary
WQHT 97.1 FM New York, NY Hip Hop
WRKS 98.7 FM New York, NY Urban Contemporary
WHTZ 100.3 FM Newark, NJ Top-40
WKTU 103.5 FM Lake Success, NY Top-40
WWPR 105.1 FM New York, NY Hip Hop
WBLS 107.5 FM New York, NY Urban Contemporary
WFAN 660 AM New York, NY Sports
WOR 710 AM New York, NY News/Talk
WABC 770 AM New York, NY News/Talk
WBBR 1130 AM New York, NY Business News
Demographics of Jamaica, New York
Because Hispanics could be counted in other races, the totals above could possibly be more than 100%. If you would like a detailed listing of all ethnic groups in the U.S., please Click Here.
Famous Blacks from Jamaica, New York
Businesses in Jamaica, New York
A small percentage of the businesses listed on BlackCityInfo.com may not necessarily be black owned and operated but have received favorable reviews from users who have visited the establishment, or from the owners themselves who warmly seek out African American patronage.
BEAUTY CARE - HAIR SALONS - MULTICULTURAL
- B & B Beauty Supply - Category: Beauty Supply - 122-09 Guy R. Brewer Blvd.
Jamaica, NY 11434 (718) 481-6292
- Feel Beauty Supply - Category: Beauty Supply - 160-11 Jamaica Ave.
Jamaica, NY 11432 (718) 206-1638
- Impulse Beauty Salon - Category: Hair Salons - 9222 Guy R Brewer Blvd
Jamaica, NY 11433 Jamaica, NY (718) 298-6200 - (reviews)
- Jamaica Beauty Distributor - Category: Beauty Supply - 166-24 Jamaica Ave.
Jamaica, NY 11432 (718) 526-8105
- Off Da Hook Hair Salon Inc. - Category: Hair Salons - 141-19 Rockaway Blvd, Jamaica NY 11435 (347) 238-1602
- Queen of the Wink Salon & Foot Spa - Category: Hair Salons - 159-10B Hillside Ave. Jamaica Queens, NY 11432 (718) 262 8049
- SUN Beauty Supply - Category: Beauty Supply - 147-13 Jamaica Ave.
Jamaica, NY 11435 (718) 205-6762
- Universal Beauty Supply - Category: Beauty Supply - 168-04 Jamaica Ave.
Jamaica, NY 11432 (718) 658-3368
BLACK BUSINESSES - SERVICES - VENDORS ETC.
- All Credit Financial Services Co. - Category: Financial Services - Linden Blvd., Jamaica, NY (888) 723-3816
- KatchallPestControl - Category: Pest Control Services - Katchallpestcontrol is a eco- friendly Termite and Pest control company. We offer residential and Commercial,elimination of bedbugd, roaches,fleas, ticks, mice, rats flies, wasps, spiders ants, bees, sliverfish,firebrat, gnats, fruit-flies, ground beetles, carpenter beetles, carpenters ants. 153-05 118th Ave, Jamaica, NY (855) 781-9344 - (visit website)
DINING - CATERING - BBQ - SOUL FOOD
- African American Restaurant Inc - Category: Soul Food Restaurants - 11635 Sutphin Blvd, Jamaica, NY 11434 (718) 323-9210
- Africana Soul Food Restaurant - Category: Soul Food Restaurants - 14612 Liberty Ave, Jamaica, NY 11435 (718) 658-8501
- African Grill - Category: Soul Food Restaurants - 11734 Sutphin Blvd Ste 1, Jamaica, NY 11434 (718) 641-2030
- Brick Town Soul Food Place - Category: Soul Food -
17369 106th Ave, Jamaica, NY 11433-1329 (718) 523-1262 - (visit website)
- Brothers & Sisters Soul Food - Category: Soul Food Restaurants - 11706 Farmers Blvd. Jamaica, NY 11412 (718) 527-5022 - (reviews)
- Burgandy's Cafe - Category: Soul Food -
15335 Hillside Ave. New York, NY 11432 (Neighborhood: Jamaica) (347) 475-0187 - (reviews)
- Jazzabell's Soul Food Incorporated - Category: Soul Food Restaurants -
13424 Guy R Brewer Blvd., Jamaica, NY, 11434 (718) 525-0505
- R C L Enterprises Restaurant & Catering - Category: Catering -
14122 Rockaway Blvd. Jamaica, NY 11436 (718) 529-3576 - (reviews)
CITY VIDEO CONNECTION
Margherita Pizza, Jamaica NY
The Toys were an American pop girl group from Jamaica, New York, which was formed in 1961 and disbanded in 1968.
- Bethlehem Church of God In Christ - 16317 107th Ave, Jamaica, NY 11433-2112 (718) 657-0089 - (visit website)
- Church of God In Christ - 15722 South Rd, Jamaica, NY 11433
- Healing Temple Cogic - 13220 Rockaway Boulevard Jamaica, NY 11420-2915
- MT Moriah Ame Church - 11620 Francis Lewis Blvd, Jamaica, NY 11411
- The Greater Allen A.M.E. Cathedral of New York - 110-31 Merrick Blvd Jamaica, NY 11433 (718) 206-4600 ext.0 - (visit website)
- St Matthews Ame Church - 20311 Hollis Avenue, Jamaica, NY 11412
- Jamaica Center For Arts & Learning (JCAL) - Category: Jazz - 161-04 Jamaica Avenue Jamaica, Queens (718) 658-7400 x23
- York College - Category: Jazz - 94-20 Guy R. Brewer Blvd.
- Irie Jamboree Reggae Festival
Held in September
All day concert, which attracts a largely African American crowd.