A Taste of Biloxi, Mississippi
DID YOU KNOW THESE FACTS ABOUT BILOXI?
- Biloxi is a city in Harrison County, Mississippi, in the United States. The 2008 Census Estimate placed the population at 45,670.
- The city is part of the Gulfport-Biloxi metropolitan area and the Gulfport-Biloxi-Pascagoula, Mississippi Combined Statistical Area. Pre-Katrina, Biloxi was the third largest city in Mississippi; but with its population losses following that storm, Hattiesburg now has that distinction. The beachfront of Biloxi lies directly on the Mississippi Sound, with barrier islands scattered off the coast and into the Gulf of Mexico.
On August 29, 2005, Hurricane Katrina hit the Mississippi Gulf Coast with high winds, heavy rains and a 27-foot storm surge, causing massive damage to the area. Katrina came ashore during the high tide of 6:56AM, +2.3 feet more. Commenting on the power of the storm and the damage, Mayor A.J. Holloway said, "This is our tsunami." Mississippi Governor Haley Barbour was quoted as saying the destruction of the Mississippi coastline by Hurricane Katrina looked like an American Hiroshima.
- On the morning of August 31, 2005, in an interview on MSNBC, Governor Barbour stated that 90% of the buildings along the coast in Biloxi and neighboring Gulfport had been destroyed by the hurricane. Several of the "floating" casinos were torn off their supports and thrown inland, contributing to the damage.
- Hurricane Katrina damaged over 40 Mississippi libraries, flooding several feet in the Biloxi Public Library and breaking windows, beyond repair, requiring a total rebuild.
- The median income for a household in the city was $34,106, and the median income for a family was $40,685.
WOLM 88.1 FM D'Iberville, MS Religious
WPAS 89.1 FM Pascagoula, MS Religious
WQYZ 92.5 FM Ocean Springs, MS Urban Contemporary
WJZD 94.5 FM Long Beach, MS Urban Contemporary
WUJM 96.7 FM Gulfport, MS Sports
WABD 97.5 FM Mobile, AL Top-40
WGCM 102.3 FM Gulfport, MS Oldies
WOSM 103.1 FM Ocean Springs, MS Gospel Music
WBUV 104.9 FM Moss Point, MS News/Talk
WXYK 107.1 FM Gulfport, MS Top-40
WQFX 1130 AM Gulfport, MS Gospel Music
WMEJ 1190 AM Bay Saint Louis, MS Gospel Music
WROA 1390 AM Gulfport, MS Nostalgia
WXBD 1490 AM Biloxi, MS Sports
WPMO 1580 AM Pascagoula-Moss Poin, MS Talk
WTNI 1640 AM Biloxi, MS Sports
Demographics of Biloxi, Mississippi
Because Hispanics could be counted in other races, the totals above could possibly be more than 100%. If you would like a detailed listing of all ethnic groups in the U.S., please Click Here.
Famous Blacks from Biloxi, Mississippi
Businesses in Biloxi, Mississippi
A small percentage of the businesses listed on BlackCityInfo.com may not necessarily be black owned and operated but have received favorable reviews from users who have visited the establishment, or from the owners themselves who warmly seek out African American patronage.
BEAUTY CARE - HAIR SALONS - MULTICULTURAL
- Couture Hair Studio - Category: Hair Salons - Hair Salon Specializing in Weaving, braiding, relaxers, texturizers, haircuts, hair coloring, and more. 1631 Pass Rd - Biloxi, Mississippi (228) 224-72871
- Kingdom Salon and Barbershop - Category: Black Hair Salons - 640 Iberville Dr. - Biloxi, Mississippi (989) 482-2170
BLACK BUSINESSES - SERVICES - VENDORS ETC.
- Biloxi-Gulfport Black Chamber of Commerce - Category: Community Services - The mission of the Biloxi- Gulfport Black Chamber of Commerce, (a non partisan- non profit organization) is to provide substantive support to improve the economic development of Black and other minority businesses and the communities for which we serve. 879 Laurelwood Drive Biloxi, Mississippi - (visit website)
- $ Go Getta Entertainment $ - Category: Entertainment Services - We are entertainment promoters in the business of marketing and promoting live events, such as concerts/gigs, sport events, professional wrestling events, raves and nightclubs. 263 Beach Blvd Biloxi, Mississippi (228) 239-7247
DINING - CATERING - BBQ - SOUL FOOD
- D'Vine Soul Food - Category: Soul Food Restaurants - - 209 Main St
Biloxi, MS (228) 374-0910
- L & L Soul Food - Category: Soul Food Restaurants - 283 Keller Ave. -
Biloxi, MS (228) 435-1929
CITY VIDEO CONNECTION
LLI 2011 MLK Parade Biloxi,Ms
- Greater St John AME Church - 551 Division Street, - Biloxi, MS 39530-2483
(228) 432-2874 - (visit website)
- Oasis 0f Faith Church of God In Christ - 1710 Stanley Dr
Biloxi, Mississippi 39531 (228) 343-0522 - (visit website)
- Beau Rivage Casino - Category: Entertainment - shops,theater, buffet, pool, dining, more - 875 Beach Blvd., Biloxi Mississippi (228) 386-7111 - (visit website)
- Boomtown Casino - Category: Entertainment - buffet, dining, more - 626 Bayview Ave., Biloxi Mississippi (228) 435-7000 - (visit website)
- Grand Biloxi Casino - Category: Entertainment - shops, buffet, pool, dining, more - 265 Beach Blvd., Biloxi Mississippi (228) 436-2946 - (visit website)
- Hard Rock Hotel And Casino - Category: Entertainment - buffet, shops, nightclub, theater, dining, more - 777 Beach Blvd., Biloxi Mississippi (228) 276-7625 - (visit website)
- IP Casino Resort Spa - Category: Entertainment - buffet, pool, shops, nightclub, theater, dining, more - 850 Bayview Ave., Biloxi Mississippi (228) 436-3000 - (visit website)
- Isle Casino Hotel Biloxi - Category: Entertainment - buffet, pool, shops, dining, more - 151 Beach Blvd., Biloxi Mississippi (228) 436-4753 - (visit website)
- Palace Casino Resort - Category: Entertainment - buffet, pool, dining, more - 158 East Howard Ave., Biloxi Mississippi (228) 432-8888
- Treasure Bay Casino - Category: Entertainment - buffet, shops, dining, more - 1980 Beach Blvd., Biloxi Mississippi (228) 385-6000
- Biloxi Seafood Festival
(September) LOCATION: Biloxi Town Green, Highway 90
- (visit website)
Biloxi Seafood Festival is a celebration of family, community and seafood heritage in the City of Biloxi.
- Crawfish Festival
(April) LOCATION: Mississippi Coast Coliseum - Biloxi, MS
- (visit website)
Fun for all at the annual Crawfish Festival in Biloxi Mississippi.
- Gulf Coast Black Rodeo
(July) Location: MS Coast Coliseum, 2350 Beach Blvd, Biloxi Mississippi - Phone: (800) 726-2781 or (228) 594-3700
If you enjoy calf roping, barrel racing, bull riding, and bull dogging (steer wrestling), then you don't want to miss "The Baddest Show on Dirt!"